TABULA RASA. THE ART OF IMPROVISATION
In collaboration with Siena Jazz
Attività Polo Musicale Senese
Entrance examination: August 17 – 10 a.m.
The seminar is open to individual players of any instrument, singers and established ensembles.
Ensembles that have been established for at least one year will be eligible for a special reduction.
The entrance examination will consist of a motivational interview. Candidates who wish to do so, may present a piece of their choice from their repertoire.
Lessons will be in the form of workshops dedicated to research based specifically on approaches to improvisation, both traditional and those influenced by new music
The methodological syntax will be based on direct musical experience, linked to instrumental action, different compositional techniques and a wide range of creative and expressive forms. It aims to be an alternative complementarity to normal study courses based on representation, assimilation and repetition of models and styles.
It adopts a performative method, which is committed to accompanying all musicians who have decided to make music their profession and art through their most difficult and decisive period. These musicians need an autonomous environment free of pressures from the circuit where they can experiment through continuous practice and research experiences, both individually and with groups, to reach a more complex but more joyful, articulated and informed musical maturity.
The lessons will explore the following:
- learning how to listen to and recognise musical material: the four parameters
- learning how to build and manage the creative process without established models
- examining the relationship between mindful listening and reaction
- defining different levels of autoresonance and musical perception
- developing a complementary instinct among musicians in their instrumental action
- building musical balances within a group more quickly
- acquiring the ability to recognise, develop and create a dialogue between thematic forms, accompanying narrative subjects and developing them semantically within morphological structures: the three narrative parameters
Once the learning phase has been completed, there comes the moment to create an identity for oneself by dealing with the musical experience experimentally. This task requires delving deeply and is often put off indefinitely by musicians; it explores compositional awareness and develops technical/instrumental expertise to the same degree. The purpose is to negotiate the most dynamic future possibilities for the world of music through on-the spot composition, experimenting with different ways an improvisation performance may be conceived.