Age limit: 35 years
In-person entrance examination July 3 – 3:30 p.m.
Echoes of the Renaissance in Modern Music
Thanks to the constant presence of the “Guido Chigi Saracini” Cathedral Choir in Residence, the active students will be able to study and perform great works from the Renaissance and Modern/Contemporary repertoire. These will include two important masses in the history of choral music and two great cycles of madrigals. In the 450th year since the birth of Banchieri, conductors will be able to compare the extraordinary collection of madrigals that is Il Festino, contrasting these with the interesting reinterpretation of the Italian madrigal style by the American Morten Laurisden.
Choir directors, intermediate level (or above) composition students, musicians with a diploma in the vocal disciplines, those pursuing a diploma related to voice, and pianists with experience related to voice and/or choir may participate in the course.
For the entrance examination the candidates must present:
● Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina from “Missa Brevis”: Kyrie
● Morten Lauridsen from “Six ‘Fire songs’ on Italian Renaissance Poems”: Io piango
The lessons will focus on the following repertoire:
● Frank Martin Messa for double choir;
● Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina Missa Brevis (ed. Casimiri)*;
● Morten Lauridsen: “Six ‘Fire songs’ on Italian Renaissance Poems”;
● Adriano Banchieri Festino nella sera del giovedì grasso avanti cena op. 18.
* If any candidate has difficulty finding the required edition, be it out of print, it is possible to request a copy by sending an email to the Secretary of Students.
The Course will be structured accordingly:
- morning: theory and practical exercises with the choir;
- afternoon: practical lessons with the choir.
At the end of the afternoon lessons all the students (active and auditing) will attend the rehearsals of the following compositions:
Pizzetti Messa da Requiem
Martin Messa per doppio coro
Perotinus Beata Viscera
De la Rue O salutaris hostia
Morales Parce mihi Domine
Stockhausen selezione da Tierkreis
Monteverdi Sfogava con le stelle
Donati Sfogava con le stelle
Monteverdi O stellae coruscantes
Des Prez Mille regrets
Pärt Morning Star
Karlheinz Stockhausen Stimmung